Public Input Opportunities
The Planning Department wants your input on the Goals; Policies & Actions; and the Needs & Opportunities which have been discussed up to this point. Please take a minute to read over the instructions and then fill out as much information as you have to offer, when complete you may turn in paper copies to the Planning Department or return them by email to email@example.com. ***Adobe reader is required to digitally fill out sheets, paper copies may be scanned and returned to the email above.
- Our latest questionnaire tackles Big Questions in the realm of Land Use, please take a minute to share your thoughts.
Throughout October, presentation materials are available for viewing in the Planning Auditorium during regular business with the exception of scheduled meetings. Staff is available in the Planning Department to answer questions or discuss the Comprehensive plan.
- Introduction Instructions
- Land Use Discussion Topics
- Draft Document: Needs and Opportunities
- 2018 Comp Plan (First Draft)
- Goal: People (sub section)
- Goal: Place (sub section)
- Goal: Foundations (sub section)
- Goal: Vitality (sub section)
- Goal: Prosperity (sub section)
Related Links & Documents
2018 Comprehensive Plan Update
The Comprehensive Plan was strategically scheduled to commence in cooperation with Envision Athens, a similar study presently underway. Envision Athens takes a broader approach to community and economic development, while the Comprehensive Plan has set criteria that must be addressed in hopes of providing a collective outline for achieving initiatives highlighted in the plan.
Our efforts are currently focused on community input and participation. Please take a minute to share your thoughts on our updated questionnaire.
|Citizens of Athens Clarke County||Planning Commission|
|Mayor & Commission||County Commissioner|
|Envision Athens Steering Committee||Envision Athens Co-Chair|
|Economic Development Director|
|Housing and Community Development Director|
Planning is a Benefit to the Community
One of the fundamental responsibilities of local government is planning and the preparation of plans. Planning is the word we use to describe how a community shapes and guides growth and development. Some people call this process city planning, urban planning, or sometimes land use planning. The results of planning are contained in documents we call comprehensive plans, or growth management plans.
Effective planning ensures that future development will occur where, when, and how the community and local government wants. There are several important benefits to the entire community that result from the planning process:
- Quality of life is maintained and improved
- There is a vision, clearly stated and shared by all, that describes the future of the community
- Private property rights are protected
- Economic development is encouraged and supported
- There is more certainty about where development will occur, what it will be like, when it will happen, and how the costs of development will be met
Purpose of Planning
What makes a community unique? What does visioning have to do with community? As the Cheshire cat says to Alice in Wonderland, "If you do not know where you are going, any old road will get you there." So it is with a community. Without a vision for what the community can be, it doesn't really matter what it becomes. But successful communities are those that have articulated a vision and pulled together to make that vision a reality. A community vision, whether simple or involved, can be a motivator throughout the community, as long as it is created with inclusion in mind.
For more thoughts on this topic, you maybe interested in Why Do We Plan? A Guidebook for Citizens and Local Planners.