Take Action -
If you see littering or illegal dumping
- Litter Hotline - calling our anonymous hotline allows citizens to report the tag number of vehicles that are spotted littering. The litterbug is sent an educational letter informing them that they've been seen littering and outlining the fines for this behavior (although no fine is levied).
- Don't want your advertising circular from the Athens Banner Herald? You can call and opt out at: 706-208-2385.
- Littered areas can be reported to KACCB to be included on our list of areas eligible for an organized cleanup, such as Rivers Alive or a Down & Dirty. Citizens are also encouraged to take an active role in their community and can get help implementing a cleanup.
- Citizens can report a litter issue, illegal dumping, or mowing issue on a state route (such as the loop), by contacting the Georgia Department of Transportation. The number for the Athens office is 706-583-2644.
- If you have an illegal dumping situation that needs investigation, you can contact ACC Community Protection
ACC Litter Survey
SURVEY COMING SOON!
We are interested in understanding the littering culture in Athens-Clarke County. We hope to learn more about how those in ACC feel about litter (e.g., cigarette butts), littering (e.g., supplies falling off a truck), and existing and potential policies regarding littering in the community.
If you decide to participate, you will be asked to complete a survey assessing your attitudes and understanding of littering and littering policies in ACC. This task should not take more than 20 minutes to complete. At any point, you may skip questions, refuse to participate, or withdraw from the study. Your participation is entirely voluntary. For the purposes of the survey, we will not ask for any personally identifiable information. Keep in mind, because this is an online survey, there is a limit to the confidentiality that can be provided.
Additional questions about the research and about your rights as a participant should be directed to The Chairperson, University of Georgia Institutional Review Board, 629 Boyd GSRC, Athens, GA 30602-7411; telephone 706-542-3199; e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Litter Prevention Programs
Citizens and volunteers are the force helping Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful to keep our community clean and beautiful! We rely on the reports we receive to let us know which areas of our county are looking good and which areas are in need of action. We'd love to hear what you see in your neighborhood and are here to help you recognize the great work of your neighbors or to help you take action to stop littering.
Community Litter Information
Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful also works to combat litter through their educational programs. If you would like to schedule a visit or a program for your group or classroom, give us a call at
- Recognize a citizen for their cleanup and greening efforts. These citizens will then be eligible for KACCB Keepin' It Clean Citizen of the Year or for a special Thank You! from KACCB.
- Recognize a business for making our community more beautiful by submitting their name as a Beautiful Business of the Month.
- Nominate an area as clean and green.
- Adopt an area through our Adopt-A-Highway, Adopt Athens, or Adopt-A-Stop Programs.