Substance Abuse Self-Test & Criteria
Take a Self-Test
In the last 12 months:
- Has anyone objected to your drinking / drug use?
- Has your drinking or drug use damaged a relationship with someone you cared about?
- Have you gotten into arguments while drinking / using drugs?
- Do you need larger amounts of drugs / alcohol to feel the effects?
- Have you frequently used alcohol / drugs to relieve emotional discomfort?
- Have you occasionally had more to drink than you intended?
- Have you set rules to limit your drinking / drug use that you failed to follow?
- Have you given up or reduced social or recreational activities because of your drinking / drug use?
- Have you neglected any responsibilities when drinking / using drugs?
- Have you missed work or school because of your drinking / drug use?
Substance Abuse Criteria
Must meet at least one of following categories in the last 12 months (can apply to alcohol or drug use or both):
- Failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, or home
- Use in situations where it is physically hazardous
- Legal problems as a result of use
- Continued use, despite persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or made worse by use
Substance Dependence Criteria
Must meet at least three of the following categories in the last 12 months (can apply to alcohol or drug use or both):
- Tolerance, as defined by either a need for markedly increased amounts or a markedly decreased effect with continued use of same amount
- Withdrawal, as indicated by either a characteristic withdrawal syndrome or the use of the substance to relieve withdrawal symptoms
- Taking the substance in larger amounts or over a longer period of time than intended
- Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use
- Spending a great deal of time obtaining, using, or recovering from effects of use
- Giving up or reducing participation in important social, occupational, or recreational activities
- Continued use despite knowledge of having a physical or psychological problem that is caused by use or is likely made worse by continued use