Construction and Engineering

Design Guidance 
The PUD compiled the General Design Guidance manual to provide insight on the plan development and review process for water and sewer projects. The guide provides municipal code and policy instruction for developers, as well as offering answers to frequently asked questions.  Contact Greg Jackson if further instruction is needed.

Fire Hydrant Flow Test 
All fire hydrant flow tests are performed by PUD. A Flow Test Request Form should be submitted to engineering management with a check payable to Athens Clarke County. You will be required to list the hydrant numbers of the hydrants you would like to flow test. If you need a map listing our hydrant numbers, please use the Utility Viewer to locate this information. Contact Greg Jackson for additional information.

Water And/Or Sanitary Sewer Capacity Evaluation 
A water and/or sanitary sewer capacity evaluation is required for all water and sanitary sewer improvements. A letter should be submitted to PUD requesting an evaluation. This request should include the name of the proposed development, street address, tax parcel identification number, proposed density of the development, the zoning designation, proposed domestic water and sanitary sewer demands, location map, plan showing proposed development, and a dwg file containing a plan of the proposed development when available. The fee for evaluations are: $115 for Sanitary Sewer and $35 for Water. Contact Greg Jackson for additional information.

Map Requests
For those in need of maps of the Athens-Clarke County water and sanitary sewer system in a particular area, please visit our Utility Viewer.  For more information contact Trae Timmerman.

Water And/Or Sanitary Sewer Construction Inspection
All proposed water and/or sanitary sewer improvements must be inspected by PUD. The contractor must contact the assigned inspector 24 hours prior to beginning utility construction. Contact Chad Bridges at for additional information.

Approved Contractors
All contractors installing public water and/or sanitary sewer lines must be approved by PUD. Approved contractors must be a Licensed Utility Contractor in the State of Georgia, have one million dollars general liability insurance & worker's compensation coverage policies, have five references, three of which must be municipalities, and submit a list of equipment to PUD. Contact Chad Bridges for additional information.

Utility Contracts
Water and/or sanitary sewer improvements involving extensions of mains require a contract to be executed between a developer and Athens-Clarke County (ACC) along with the payment of administrative fees to cover the costs of line inspection, possible tap, labor & materials charges, etc. Contact Denise Dickson for additional information.

Utility Easements
All water and sanitary sewer improvements accepted by ACC PUD for ownership, operation and maintenance require accompanying easement documents and plats legally conveying the easement to ACC. The documents are most often prepared by a developer's attorney and surveyor, but must meet the ACC Attorney's approval. For easement and plat inclusions, contact Denise Dickson for additional information.

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No