Ben Burton Park

About the park

Ben Burton Park is a 32-acre wildlife preserve located off Mitchell Bridge Road. The park is the site of a former hydroelectric generating station built in 1896 and used until 1964. The site was donated to the county by Georgia Power in 1967. In October of 1971, the park was dedicated in honor of Ben W. Burton, Vice President of Georgia Power. A portion of the park is part of a streambank stabilization project intended to improve streambank health and decrease erosion.

Park Amenities

  1. Trails
  2. Grills
  3. Fishing
  4. Picnic Tables
  5. Boat Ramps

Ben Burton Park features roughly 2-miles of social trails that traverse upland forest and the Middle Oconee riverside.Ben Burton Park _02

General Information

ParkingThere are twenty-eight parking spaces available, including 3 handicap spaces 
ClockOpen sunrise to sunset 

Park Rules

Dog ParkDogs must be on leash and under control at all times
Bike AllowedBicycles on paved paths only
No SmokingAthens-Clarke County prohibits smoking at all times (Call 706 613-3345 to report violations)
No AlcoholAlcohol, camping & fireworks are prohibited
No FiresFires allowed in approved grills only
No Picking PlantsCollection of plants and wildlife prohibited
No Amplified NoiseNo loud, offensive, or disruptive music, language or behavior
CarVehicles subject to tow if in the park after hours or parked outside designated parking areas

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No