Citizens Government Academy
About the Citizens Government Academy
Join the Mayor, Manager, and staff for a learning and networking opportunity. The Athens-Clarke County Unified Government (ACCGov) is offering a weekly class for residents to learn about local government through first-hand exposure to the wide range of government functions, services, activities, and issues. The Citizens Government Academy will take place each Wednesday evening from March 25, 2020 through May 20, 2020 from 5:30-8:00 p.m.
The Citizens Government Academy is designed to:
- Give residents an opportunity to learn how to access their government
- familiarize residents with government services, functions and activities of Athens-Clarke County
- Help residents gain a better understanding about how to become involved in local government
- Enhance their ability to communicate effectively with local officials.
The Citizens Government Academy seeks to provide participants with an in-depth overview of a number of local government services, functions, and activities centered around the Mayor and Commission’s six strategic commitments to the residents of Athens-Clarke County:
- Informed and Engaged Community
- Shared Prosperity
- Healthy, Livable, and Sustainable Athens-Clarke County
- Transportation, Mobility, and Connectivity
- Safe and Prepared Community
- Accountable and Responsive Government
- Participants must be Athens-Clarke County residents, age 18+
- Class size is limited to 25 participants on a first come, first serve basis.
- Each class will be conducted by a department representative and will provide both an informational and interactive learning approach.
- The deadline to apply to the Citizens Government Academy is Friday, March 6, 2020 or until all available spaces are filled
Participants will gain a better understanding of
- The relationships between residents, the Mayor & Commission, and governmental departments
- The process for deciding why and how government projects are implemented and services are provided
- The ways government projects support Mayor & Commission goals and objectives as well as the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government’s strategic commitments.
- The budgeting process
- Roles and functions of public safety departments
- Environmental stewardship measures
- Additional responsibilities and functions of the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government