Call for Public Art - Cooperative Extension Service Center (SPLOST 2011 Project #10)
- Call Summary
- Project Overview & Site Description
- Public Art Goals & Criteria
The Athens Cultural Affairs Commission (ACAC) invites professional artists to submit a proposal and images of a visual public art concept for the Cooperative Extension Service Building project in Athens, Georgia. The selected artist(s) will work with the ACAC and government staff to create public art that enhances the project and complements the site
The new facilities are being constructed on a lot at the corner of Cleveland Road and Callaway Drive in west Athens--a part of the county where there has been little to no public art, and we are excited to introduce artwork that will enhance the environment there. The parcel is relatively level. It will also include a newly constructed fire station, and both facilities will share a parking lot between them. See Attachment 1. A few options of sites were selected for public art, all located outside and viewable to people using the facility or just passing by. Possible sites include: the covered patio of the main entrance, the plaza space adjoining the classroom entrance, the garden area, or the driveway entrance (Callaway Dr.).
General Criteria for Art:
- Original artwork(s) by the submitting artist (or team)
- Quality artwork(s) in design and execution
- Materials should be highly durable, non-toxic, and resistant to normal weathering and vandalism
- Minimal, easy maintenance requirements
- Compatible with site in scale and aesthetics
- Conform to applicable standards of public safety
- May incorporate agricultural or botanical motifs (note: 4-H’s four-leaf clover is trademarked)
- May incorporate family & consumer sciences/ home economics themes
- May incorporate a functional element such as a bench or shade structure
- Application deadline: Friday, March 15, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
- Selection panel convenes in March/April
- Application status update
- Mayor & Commission vote on recommended proposal in April/May 2019
- Artist contract with City, then begin work
- Art installation in summer/fall 2019
Final Proposal Submissions:All proposals must be submitted to Athens-Clarke County’s online system of calls for entry, care of the Athens Cultural Affairs Commission. Instructions will be posted online at: www.athensculturalaffairs.org/calls-for-artists/
All of the following must accompany your submission to be considered by a citizen selection panel:
- Artist(s) contact information, including your name(s), mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail. Please do not identify the artist(s) on the public art concept or description (including links to website), so that the selection process is anonymous.
- A resume of your credentials and related experience.
- List three (3) people we may contact for professional references, with their contact information.
- A title and description of your public art concept. Include a materials list, any needs for special equipment or the like, and a timeline for producing and installing the artwork. Provide enough detail to support your images and budget.
- Up to five (5) images of your proposed design, annotated with image descriptions such as perspective, scale, etc. May include additional detail images, if needed. The media chosen to convey your design(s) is up to your discretion, whether hand-drawn, computer generated, digital media, or photograph examples including previous work. However, all designs must be uploaded as a digital image to the application website.
- A budget that details all costs to execute the artwork including, but not limited to, design, materials, fabrication, installation including foundation/supports, insurance, travel and artist’s fees.
- Please indicate your interest in mentoring a local artist as part of the project.
Athens Cultural Affairs Commission